Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Mother Nature... SCARES THE HELL OUTTA ME!





So, last nite after our hike, I headed out to a nice little chokecherry patch we found the other day.  I was in my own little dream world plucking the nice little berries from the trees when I heard something behind me.  Sounded like someone throwing out a pail of water.. you know..how it splashes when it hits the ground.  Didn't pay much attention as there was a tower in the bushes and I thought someone might be working there.

A little later, I heard something in the bushes again and this time when I looked, I saw a bear about 15 feet away just looking at me... Well... It took about 2 seconds for me to (A) Shit my pants (B) Leap over a huge rock and onto the road - and (3) Climb into my truck.

After I caught my breath, I looked for the bear and he wasn't there.. so I backed up the truck about 10 metres and there he was .. just gazing at me as if I were his last worry in the world.  Thankfully I probably was.  After he sauntered off, I went back to my berry picking and had no further episodes.

Tonite...  I noticed our compost pile was somewhat stirred up so I grabbed the garden fork and started to reload the pile.  I noticed a hole or some kind of burrow into the pile so I started tossing the debris onto that area.. Suddenly, I heard a loud HISSSSSSSS from the bowels of the pile.  In about 2 seconds I - (A) Shit my pants (B) Tripped over the garage stairs as I was backing out  (C) Raised every hair on my arms straight into the air sprouting out of my goosebumps.  SCARED the hell outta me.  I'm not sure what it was but in my mind it was varmint number 3 in the above photos.

You'd think a tough old Manitoba farm boy like me would be a bit braver.  A little secret here... The reason Jewels makes such a great hiking companion is the fact that I think I can out run her when/if we were to stumble onto a wildlife threat along the trail... teeheehee...

Life is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment