Monday, October 29, 2012

I shudda known better....





So, here's a little hint for those of you that are driving into mountains on a nice day and you start meeting vehicles that have snow piled up on their roofs ....  TURN AROUND!

I was heading south from Bozeman with a plan to visit Yellowstone Park and drive on thru to Cody Wyoming and take in the Buffalo Bill Museum.  This was part of the plan to drive home this route as I have never been into that area before.

The roads started to turn wet and a bit slushy with snow as I  drove on.  When I got to the National Park sign, I was thinking that it looked rather cloudy in the distance... about 30 miles from West Yellowstone village the roads got snow packed and very slick.  I made it OK into the village although it took almost an hour longer than planned.

So, I looked around a bit and the village itself is best described as a large tourist trap.  Bot a few groceries and headed for the main park gates only to find out that the road thru to Cody was closed due to the snow!!!!  I asked what the alternative route would be and was told to drive back to Bozeman and head east...blah.. blah...blah...

Bottom line.. I drove back to Bozeman and added about 5 hours of extra Montana driving time to my trip... damn this is a  huge state.. it just goes on and on and on...

But, I'm in no hurry, I'm safe, and I'll be home soon...

Life is Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment