Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Port Renfrew to Cowichan - scenic route...






Yesterday my new friends - Viktor and Ildiko returned home from their Costa Rican holiday and my first house sit was officially over. It was an interesting and fun time and I am happy that I had an opportunity to get to know this part of the island.

I decided to take a new and scenic route back to the west side of the island so I zipped up north to Port Renfrew and found the "highway" that led me through Lake Cowichan and to Duncan.  I guess I should have known that the word "highway" may not apply to the road when my GPS advised me to turn right "on gravel road"!

It wasn't gravel - it was a paved ash-fault surface all the way.  The road was a bit rough and very narrow in places.. but it was also a lovely drive.  I was in no hurry so I got to stop several times to take in the view and snap a few photos.  The moss growing on the trees indicate the ongoing humidity of the area.. lots of rain - especially this time of year.  It is also a major forestry/logging area and there were several places that looked like a big old bomb had exploded and razed the whole area.

All in all, a nice day.. I'm in Courtenay now (it's raining here as well) and planning to head out on a drive up to the north end of the island as far as Port Hardy.  Haven't been there yet and it's time to see that area. After the coming weekend, I'll be on the road home...

Life is Good!


No comments:

Post a Comment