Tuesday, July 6, 2010

holidays have officially started!




Driving out from Erickson on June 23rd to Winnipeg to catch a flight to Yellowknife the next day. It was raining a bit.. as usual and I was struck by the huge impact the continuous rain has had on the poor farmers of Manitoba. I stopped at one spot between Gladstone and the #1 Highway and took a couple of fotos that said it all. Looked like Lake Manitoba across the fields and there is no way this will dry up in time to save crops.

The next morning, I flew out of Winnipeg and of course, never took my camera out of my truck so I had 5 days in Yellowknife.. really nice glorious sunny days but no photos. I saw a lot of friends.. played the sand covered golf course (won 9 skins on one hole the first day there) and had a great time attending my friend Surly Bob's wedding to the most wonderful lady you could imagine (waaayyyy too good for Bob).. Deborah...

I stayed with Chris and Ev.. who took off to Edmonton to attend Fred's retirement party from Norterra.. so Popeye and I bonded over a couple of days. I saw scads of people during my visit and had a wonderful time.. but I must say that I felt good to be leaving after 5 days.. In spite of a lot of good friends and memories, I haven't found "home" yet.

Flying back into Winnipeg on the 29th, I was again struck by the magnitude of the water laying across the fields as we approached our landing into Winnipeg. So very sad for the farmers.

Upon landing in the city, I decided to drive out and stay with mom overnite. May not see her for a couple of months so probably a good move. The next nite I drove into Winnipeg to attend a retirement party for my cute little sister. Russell and Dorothy are now both officially retired and ...damn.. no photos of the party. Anyways, a good time was had by all and after I left, I had planned to stay over nite, but anxious to see Julie and get her moved to Duluth so off I went for Zumbrota. I arrived at 730AM and promptly went to bed for a few hours. Over the next few days, Julie and I packed up all her stuff and moved it to Duluth where I know she will be sooooooooo happy. It's a great city and so pretty. More on this to follow but my next post will feature photos and information on my second beautiful grand daughter ...

Life is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment